Recently I discovered that my Redmine 1.1.3 installation had mysteriously stopped working (as seems to have happened here). I noticed that Redmine 1.2.1 can now be easily installed through the control panel, so I set about doing that and migrating the database from the old installation. After a bit of fiddling it works fine, however 'Passenger ApplicationSpawner' and 'Rails' were using about 80MB memory each, easily exceeding my 80MB limit. Webfaction quickly emailed me then killed these processes.
I followed this procedure and the two processes now use about 45MB each, which still exceeds my limit. I've temporarily stopped the app because of this. I didn't note memory usage of Redmine 1.1.3 when it was running but I never received any complaints about it, so I assume that it was under the 80MB total. The previous install was out of the box; I certainly didn't tweak any settings to reduce memory usage. Other people have had this problem too, it seems, but I couldn't find any real solutions in these forums or elsewhere.
I am using only one external plugin to improve gantt charts (here). My actual usage of Redmine is very light: about 6 small projects and about 5 users.
Unfortunately I don't know anything about Ruby, Rails or any of the million other things that Redmine seems to require so my troubleshooting efforts have been minimal.
Any hints or comments would be appreciated.
asked Oct 19 '11 at 13:11
90MB of memory is typical for a Redmine project. You may be able to reduce the consumption as described in this related community guide.
Even with these changes, however, Redmine always uses a lot of memory. If you are primarily using Redmine for issue tracking and source-code viewing, Trac is a good alternative; it won't consume any of your memory (as it runs under the shared Apache) and works with both svn and git repositories.
answered Oct 19 '11 at 20:28
For those who, like me, were bugged with an additional Passenger ApplicationSpawner doubling the ram usage (if only 1 redmine process), try setting "passenger_spawn_method conservative;" in the nginx conf of your redmine application. Thus, no more ram-hungry "spawner" process (but if you need a big pool of redmine processes, this might hurt).
answered Jan 06 at 09:36