WebFaction
Community site: login faq

From what I've gathered from the documentation and this question, the recommended way to host a Django website (unsecured), along with it's admin functionality (secured) is to serve the app via apache/mod_wsgi and use httpd.conf rewrites to handle the security.

I would prefer to use gunicorn rather than apache/mod_wsgi, but I don't know if it would be possible to handle both the secured and unsecured portions of the side in a single webfaction application. Alternatively, I'm considering just handling the admin functionality in its own secured app, but with a secondary Django application running on webfaction, I would likely be increasing my overall memory consumption unnecessarily.

So, is it possible to accomplish this sort of thing with django/gunicorn rather than django/mod_wsgi? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mark

asked 03 Aug '12, 14:37

mgemmill's gravatar image

mgemmill
accept rate: 0%

This is one reason I still use Apache myself.

Basically you would have to build your own nginx or apache proxy server which would serve the purpose of routing and the other functions gunicorn does not deal with.

On a 'typical' linux server, and most of the gunicorn docs/blogs I have read this is what the admin would have to do as our front-end nginx server would not be present and building nginx from source would be required.

permanent link

answered 03 Aug '12, 18:28

johns's gravatar image

johns ♦♦
5.0k29
accept rate: 23%

That's kind of what I thought may be the case. I will just go with the standard apache/mod_wsgi setup and see what the memory footprint is like. When I have more time perhaps I'll give a custom nginx/gunicorn/django setup a go and see how it compares. Thanks for your input.

(04 Aug '12, 12:24) mgemmill mgemmill's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×891
×68
×12

question asked: 03 Aug '12, 14:37

question was seen: 1,644 times

last updated: 04 Aug '12, 12:24

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM