WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello, I've successfully moved our files to Webfaction and set up the database. Our site is still live on our old host and I'd like to keep it that way until we're up and running here. I see our site with the temp. WebFaction url, but it is styled incorrectly or perhaps not at all. This is a WP site. I didn't create it and I'm not sure how the CSS is being applied. When I login to the WP dashboard I believe it takes me to the original site/url but when I revisit the WebFactional url the site is style correctly. What's up with this behavior and how can I correct it?

Thanks, Matt

asked 06 Aug '12, 10:14

Matt_B
accept rate: 100%

Typekit! Add domains to your typekit account and problem solved. Thanks Sean.

permanent link

answered 09 Aug '12, 09:35

Matt_B
accept rate: 100%

Your WordPress site is configured internally to use the old hostname instead of your user.webfactional.com subdomain.

You should be able to fix it with the following steps:

1. Log into https://my.webfaction.com/
  2. Go to https://my.webfaction.com/websites
  3. Click on your site record.
  4. In the "contents" section, remove your WordPress app from the site.
  5. Click the blue "Save" button.
  6. Click on your site record again.
  7. In the "contents" section, add your WordPress app back to the site.
  8. Click the blue "Save" button.
  9. Wait a few minutes for the change to take effect.

If that doesn't seem to fix it, then you can try editing the WP configuration directly in its database. Several techniques for doing this are available here: Changing the Site URL

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 06 Aug '12, 11:56

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

edited 06 Aug '12, 11:58

I'm attempting the above. WF want a valid "Name" for the app being installed and won't accept WordPress. The App Category drop down lets me select WordPress and the Type field let's me select the version. I'm not sure what it's looking for in the "Name" field. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Matt

(06 Aug '12, 12:25) Matt_B

It sounds like you're trying to create a new app - instead, use the "Reuse an existing Web App" option and select your original WP app.

(06 Aug '12, 12:28) seanf

Okay, I tried that re-using the previously installed app (Wordpress.) It's taking a few minutes for DNS to take effect. Last week trying this stuff I broke our MX servers and my office was without email for a few hours! Please reassure me that I'm not going to affect anything like that until we're sure we're up and running on WF. Funny thing was I never touched the MX servers on our old host, so I'm not sure how those changes went through.

(06 Aug '12, 12:29) Matt_B

Styling is still broken, but that link you provided looks promising. I'm going to sit back for an hour and make sure everything else is as it should be before I try to make any more changes. Thanks!

(06 Aug '12, 12:31) Matt_B

Changing the site configuration won't affect your MX records.

You shouldn't need to wait an hour for the control panel changes to take effect, just a couple of minutes tops.

If it's still not working for you after that time and don't have any luck with changing it directly in the database, feel free to open a support ticket so that we can take a closer look.

(06 Aug '12, 12:36) seanf

I'll look into changing it in the database. I'm not able to change it through the WP dashboard because when I log in through the admin page it takes me to my old url. I'd like to make sure everything is working through the Webfactional url before we move over entirely. Is that possible or will I have to go through this changing url process twice? Thanks for your help so far. -Matt

(06 Aug '12, 12:41) Matt_B

You can either update the URL in the database before and after your tests, or you could create an entry in your local hosts , eg "www.domain.com NN.NN.NN.NN" to force your system to resolve your domain name to your WebFaction server IP (so that your CSS, etc will load from our server instead of your old one).

(06 Aug '12, 13:18) seanf

The siturl and home fields in the DB were already updated to the webfactional address that we'd like to use for testing. Now I'm stumped.

I am seeing a lot of "wp_p272mp_" prefixes in the DB. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Matt

(06 Aug '12, 14:19) Matt_B

The active table prefix is shown in your wp-config.php file.

If you've updated the correct options data, and you're still being directed to the old site when logging in, then try clearing your browser cache and reloading the login page. Also, make sure the login page URL doesn't have a redirect_to argument sending you to the other site.

(06 Aug '12, 16:22) seanf

I got into the "new" login page successfully. The table with the correct active prefix and reflecting new url, though there is no "www" at the beginning. I don't think the login url is redirecting me as once I'm in all the urls read appropriately for the new site. Thanks again.

(06 Aug '12, 17:09) Matt_B

Ok, at this point I think your WP site is configured properly, since you were able to log in. Are you still seeing some sort of problem?

(06 Aug '12, 17:25) seanf

Yes, some major elements are not styled.

(08 Aug '12, 14:45) Matt_B

Ok, please open a support ticket via the support menu in the control panel so that we can work with you more closely to resolve this.

(08 Aug '12, 15:09) seanf
showing 5 of 13 show 8 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×244
×12

question asked: 06 Aug '12, 10:14

question was seen: 2,863 times

last updated: 09 Aug '12, 09:35

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM