WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I'm trying to setup my ssh access for the first time and I've tried to follow faithfully the instructions at

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/access.html?highlight=ssh access#connecting-with-ssh

in the PuTTY section. However, I get "server refused our key" when I try to login. Can anyone suggest common beginner errors that you could suggest I look for?

Thanks, stegzzz

asked 12 Dec '10, 05:39

stegzzz
accept rate: 66%

The error suggests you are trying to set up Putty to access your site with a key, rather than the simpler authentication method username + password.

If you intended to use a key, please make sure you followed http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/access.html#putty

Otherwise, if you are looking for the simplest way to log in, enter "[username].webfactional.com" (replace [username] with your own user) as an address in the Host Name field in Putty, and click Open to start a connection.

permanent link

answered 12 Dec '10, 05:44

tie
1.4k13
accept rate: 44%

Thanks, yes I was trying to use a key, following the instructions you indicated (which are repplicated on the link in my Q). I can get in OK with username+password.

(12 Dec '10, 05:52) stegzzz

In this case, you have probably missed out some step of the instructions. Did you set the proper permissions to the ~/.ssh directory and the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file (steps 6 and 7)? What exactly is the obvious mistake in the instructions that you see?

(12 Dec '10, 06:01) tie

OK, I've been through this again and something has changed (I think I may have missed step 6) so now I'm getting a message "server unexpectedly closed network connection".

It's not a mistake in the instructions, I was just asking if there are some common errors that people make. I'm probably committing one of these "obvious" errors - at least obvious once you know what it is!

(12 Dec '10, 13:12) stegzzz

Please submit a support ticket and we can look at the server directly.

(12 Dec '10, 13:18) johns

Tried again today from another computer, once again with fresh key, permissions etc. Still got "server unexpectedly closed network connection" error. It happens the instant I put my user name in

Answer: The key that you had in your authorized_keys file was spread over 3 separate lines. This is incorrect - the authorized_keys file should have only one line occupied by each individual key.

That's cured it! When I cut and paste from PuTTY field into notepad it only picks up one line. The line breaks appear when using right click to paste into the nano window.

Thanks to Emil F. and John S.

permanent link

answered 13 Dec '10, 06:55

stegzzz
accept rate: 66%

edited 13 Dec '10, 06:57

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×103
×25
×13

question asked: 12 Dec '10, 05:39

question was seen: 3,914 times

last updated: 13 Dec '10, 06:57

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM