WebFaction
Community site: login faq

My current apps architecture is using Node.js as the front facing server receiving the initial request from users. I look at the requested URL and if it's one used for long polling I handle it in Node.js, otherwise I pass off the request to Apache/Django. On my local machine I do this by attaching node.js to port 8080 and django dev server to 8000.

I am wonder how I cold possibly do this on a webfaction server? It seems like each app is only given one port to use. I am also doing inter-process communication between the Node.js app and the Django app over sockets, which requires another port. Any ideas on how to implement this on webfaction?

Thanks, Jonathan

asked 12 Dec '10, 14:42

joneath
accept rate: 0%

As long as you can make your application listen on a specified port you may create a "custom application" to be assigned a port for local communication or to be forwarded like any other HTTP app with the control panel. If you need a specific port or external, non-HTTP traffic on the port than you may purchase an dedicated IP address. Our documentation on this may be found here,

http://docs.webfaction.com/software/custom.html#custom-applications

permanent link

answered 12 Dec '10, 15:21

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×67

question asked: 12 Dec '10, 14:42

question was seen: 5,492 times

last updated: 12 Dec '10, 15:21

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM