WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm trying to reduce my Redmine memory usage. I was wondering whether it is practical to serve the static file content of Redmine (e.g. .css, .js) by bypassing either nginx, passenger or rails, and whether that would help with the memory usage. I don't know enough about Ruby and the infrastructure to tell if this is easy or worth it to do.

As a first hit, I might try to modify the nginx.conf to get nginx to serve the static files directly.

asked 20 Aug '12, 19:41

pixelglow
accept rate: 0%

Try using our 'symbolic link to static only app' and pointing the extra info to the media directory.

This will serve the media directly off of the front-end proxy, this does typically reduce memory usage a little.

permanent link

answered 21 Aug '12, 00:56

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

If I have a domain http://redmine.pixelglow.com whose / is serving a redmine app, you mean I should carve out e.g. a /stylesheets to serve a symbolic link to the stylesheets directory within my redmine app? What happens when the website has a / serving one sort of content and a /subdirectory serving another sort of content -- does the deeper path override the shallower path?

(21 Aug '12, 07:16) pixelglow

Site apps override subdirectory structures - e.g., if you add an app to your site using "/subdirectory" as the URL path, then that will override whatever was previously being served at "/subdirectory".

(21 Aug '12, 14:47) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×125
×87
×81
×46
×6

question asked: 20 Aug '12, 19:41

question was seen: 3,676 times

last updated: 21 Aug '12, 14:47

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM