WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I am running a nginx server (installed as a custom app) serving a Django app via uwsgi.

I have compiled nginx without gzip support. Flash often has trouble with gzipped content, and my site heavily depends on a Flash application. For some reason I am still getting gzipped responses and Flash cannot read the responses.

gzip is definitely not present in my nginx build - if I insert "gzip on;" or "gzip off;" in my nginx.conf, I cannot start the server - it says "unknown directive "gzip"".

If I visit the exact same URL in the browser it works fine.

Examining the responses in the Chrome network inspector, I'm still receiving responses with "Content-Encoding: gzip". Is there some way to fix this? Thanks.

asked 31 Aug '12, 05:30

sut101
accept rate: 0%

Hi, I realised that it wasn't gzip at all... I had to set post-buffering to 4096 in the uwsgi options. Thanks for your assistance.

(06 Oct '12, 06:45) sut101

Hi,

This would be difficult to determine without testing, but I believe the gzip HTTP headers you're seeing might be sent by the frontend server. Are you sure that you're not serving static content with a static-only or a symbolic link app?

You can also try installing Nginx with gzip support, and explicitly turning it off in the configuration file.

If this doesn't help, please open a ticket, so we can take a look.

permanent link

answered 31 Aug '12, 09:54

todork
1.2k4
accept rate: 34%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×186
×17
×14
×5
×1

question asked: 31 Aug '12, 05:30

question was seen: 4,079 times

last updated: 06 Oct '12, 07:28

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM