WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I want to install myWebsite.com - which runs a wordpress-blog. Then another Team blog at mysite.com/team-blog and also mysite.com/osqa to have OSQA(OSQA is a forum software) installed.

I tried a lot playing with .htaccess from the past 2 days. But No success! AFAIK this can be achieved with .htaccess redirects.

Another question - Is it a good idea to install - osqa in mysite.com/osqa or have a seperated sub-domain like - osqa.mysite.com I read some old articles saying - having sub-domains is NOT good for SEO and Page-ranks. Is this true even today? And So only I decided to go with folders for each and not creating sub-domains.

AFAIK, Search Engines treat sub-domains as a totally different domain without carrying much Pagerank effects to the domain Parent site.

Please help, all help highly highly appreciated.

asked 17 Sep '12, 04:13

Prajwal
accept rate: 33%

Typically this would be done using a separate URL Path for each application, all one one website record.

In other words, you would have three applications under $HOME/webapps/, but all three mounted onto a single website record - one at a URL Path of "/", the next at "/team-blog", and the third at "/osqa".

Generally with respect to SEO you are correct; it's better to have everything under a single domain. However, some applications do not work nicely under a sub-URL Path, and using osqa.mysite.com is much easier for them. This depends largely on the application types; usually Wordpress and Django can be run under a URL subpath, but not all can be.

permanent link

answered 17 Sep '12, 04:19

ryans ♦♦
5.0k103760
accept rate: 43%

thanks Ryans, I suppose this creates .htacess files in each folder automatically.

(17 Sep '12, 08:45) Prajwal

Adding additional apps to a site will not create .htaccess files - the web server configuration happens on the front-end. managed by us. Your apps will still use whatever .htaccess files you've created for them.

(17 Sep '12, 12:14) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×225
×76
×9
×8

question asked: 17 Sep '12, 04:13

question was seen: 2,647 times

last updated: 17 Sep '12, 12:14

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM