WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Greetings i have files that someone built for me and was wondering how do i upload them to my server?

thanks

asked 20 Sep '12, 14:53

ericspecullaas
accept rate: 0%

You can use FTP to upload your files. Here is more information on how to connect.

permanent link

answered 20 Sep '12, 16:20

bmeyer71 ♦♦
1.5k3613
accept rate: 33%

ok i read that but it still wont let me add my custom files. I am using cyberduck lol. i log in to my SSH client and I get nothing.

(20 Sep '12, 18:54) ericspecullaas

Please send us a support ticket with screenshots of the error and the configuration you are using.

(20 Sep '12, 19:01) johns

there is no error i just cant seam to get the html file and php files on to the server with out weird steps. When I say that I get nothing it wont allow me to connect the files I upload in the ftp on cyberduck to the url that Im using.

(21 Sep '12, 11:09) ericspecullaas

It sounds to me like you're not uploading the files to the correct directory. You should be uploading them to /home/username/webapps/app_directory, where "username" is your WebFaction account name, and "app_directory" is the name of the application that you have attached to your site. You can see your site configuration in our control panel at https://my.webfaction.com/websites

(21 Sep '12, 13:28) seanf

ok im trying that but im usning a mac and was wondering what better software to use than Cyberduck? I have even tried ftp on IE 9 but with no luck. I have also had someone else put up a site how do I replace that site with my own files sry for sounding like a noob.

EDIT: when i try to add that last bit "/home/username/webapps/app_directory" in cyberduck i get a DNS error not sure why im using port 21

(24 Sep '12, 16:52) ericspecullaas

ok im trying that but im usning a mac and was wondering what better software to use than Cyberduck? I have even tried ftp on IE 9 but with no luck.

Cyberduck is an excellent FTP client, but if you're not happy with it for some reason, perhaps Filezilla would suit you.

I have also had someone else put up a site how do I replace that site with my own files sry for sounding like a noob.

If you want to replace files that someone else uploaded for you, then just delete them via your FTP client, then upload the new files to the same location.

EDIT: when i try to add that last bit "/home/username/webapps/app_directory" in cyberduck i get a DNS error not sure why im using port 21

If you're seeing a DNS error, then you probably have the wrong host name in your FTP connection settings.

I recommend that you read the following documentation for more information:

(24 Sep '12, 17:10) seanf

thank you very much i many need someone to slap me around when im done with this.

(24 Sep '12, 17:30) ericspecullaas

does anyone know of another port that works with this hosting provider? the reason beening i just checked port 21 and 22 and they are blocked by comcast (yay me lol) so i need a port that is secure and not port 21 or port 22 thanks in advance.

(24 Sep '12, 18:50) ericspecullaas

No, ports 21 and 22 are the only ports available for FTP and SFTP. It seems very unlikely to me that Comcast would block both of these ports, so I recommend that you open a support ticket via the control panel so that we can look for other possible problems.

(24 Sep '12, 18:57) seanf

I found out that my router was over 6 years old so thats a good reason for all this trouble!! thanks to everyone who has helped me out.

(24 Sep '12, 20:12) ericspecullaas
showing 5 of 10 show 5 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×47
×7

question asked: 20 Sep '12, 14:53

question was seen: 2,531 times

last updated: 24 Sep '12, 20:12

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM