WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

Is there any specific reason why we can't login to phpMyAdmin automatically? I come from the world of CPanel and I think I miss it. Or at least, why not use the main account with access to all databases so that we don't have to login/logout/login ... when we want to see another database? Otherwise, this could force people to use easy passwords and/or re-use passwords.

I know I could use SSH tunnel, and then use database management applications locally; but that is still a lot of work (which is a bit of a distraction)? And, what if, for e.g., I wanted to check something quickly away from home?

How are others dealing with this?

Regards zero

asked 20 Sep '12, 16:05

6zero
accept rate: 0%

Is there any specific reason why we can't login to phpMyAdmin automatically? I come from the world of CPanel and I think I miss it. Or at least, why not use the main account with access to all databases so that we don't have to login/logout/login ... when we want to see another database? Otherwise, this could force people to use easy passwords and/or re-use passwords

Regarding automatic logins, the simple answer is that it's simply not something we've considered doing.

We'll be rolling out some new control panel features related to databases in the coming months - automatic phpMyAdmin logins are not planned as a part of that, but I'll open an internal ticket to have our development and sysadmin teams look into it.

How are others dealing with this?

I personally deal with it by using strong passwords with a secure password manager + browser extensions (eg, 1Password or LastPass).

permanent link

answered 21 Sep '12, 10:52

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×40
×23
×1

question asked: 20 Sep '12, 16:05

question was seen: 3,240 times

last updated: 21 Sep '12, 10:52

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM