WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I just purchased a webfaction site at:

http://www.coltonphillips.com/

currently if you inspect the source you'll see that my webpage points to some handy swimming facts. That's nice and all, but I'd like to be able to edit my page! I accessed my server IP using Filezilla and I find the following folders:

bin lib logs webapps

lib has python in it - all other directories are empty...

So if my index.html isn't in /home/coltonp or in any of those sub directories, than where the gosh dang heck is it? How am I loading those sick ass swimming deets if NOTHING is on my server? Seriously, nothing. Am I making some sort of fundamental error? I assumed there would be some html files and maybe some web app framework stuff setting up that chincy lil swimming page.

I tried placing index.html at the root of /home/coltonp as well. This did not do anything.

asked 23 Sep '12, 15:00

ColtonPhillips
accept rate: 0%

Your index.html should go at /home/<username>/webapps/<applicationname>/.

When you are connecting via Filezilla you would want to click on the webapps folder and then your application name and post your changes to that folder.

Here is the Docs to creating a simple website that may help as well.

permanent link

answered 23 Sep '12, 15:24

aaront ♦♦
accept rate: 27%

Thank you! the doc was helpful. I created a static webapp, and then I added the webapp to my website using the control panel. however it says because of dns propegation i might not be able to see the changes. True for now, the website looks just the same. I'll see how it looks tomorrow.

(23 Sep '12, 17:26) ColtonPhillips

Okay so I did all of this and it did not change my website. Been long enough that the dns propegation should be complete. Any idea what else could be causing this issue?

(27 Sep '12, 22:05) ColtonPhillips

It seems that your coltonphillips.com domain is not pointing to your WebFaction server. You will need to update your DNS records with your DNS provider to point to your WebFaction server's IP address, which is 108.59.2.74.

(27 Sep '12, 22:58) waynek

For greatest convenience, you may want to consider using WebFaction's nameservers for your domain, which would then automatically set the rest of your DNS values for that domain in the future:

ns1.webfaction.com
ns2.webfaction.com
ns3.webfaction.com
ns4.webfaction.com

It's also possible to use external nameservers and point the A record of the domain to your webfaction server. Both are described here.

The nameservers for your domain would be set with your domain registrar. After making the changes, the DNS propagation requires up to 24 hours.

(27 Sep '12, 23:44) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×337
×113
×44
×12

question asked: 23 Sep '12, 15:00

question was seen: 1,911 times

last updated: 27 Sep '12, 23:44

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM