WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Regarding SSL applications, Webfaction had said in a support ticket that "SSL negotiation happens on our front end Nginx server. Once that's done, the request goes to your app as HTTP.". Can someone explain this?

My application was assigned port X. My naive understanding is that Webfaction will handle SSL requests, decrypt them, and then send the decrypted text to port X on the machine that hosts my application. Does this mean that any other Webfaction user on that machine can read my SSL communications by listening to port X? Is my application supposed to read plain text on port X and also send out encrypted text on port X?

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 24 Sep '12, 11:03

tintedWindows
accept rate: 0%

Regarding SSL applications, Webfaction had said in a support ticket that "SSL negotiation happens on our front end Nginx server. Once that's done, the request goes to your app as HTTP.". Can someone explain this?

This diagram illustrates our web server stack. Nginx listens on the front end and passes requests to your app on the back end.

My application was assigned port X. My naive understanding is that Webfaction will handle SSL requests, decrypt them, and then send the decrypted text to port X on the machine that hosts my application. Does this mean that any other Webfaction user on that machine can read my SSL communications by listening to port X? Is my application supposed to read plain text on port X and also send out encrypted text on port X?

The communication between our front-end Nginx and your back-end application all happens on the same machine, and unprivileged (non-root) users are not able to sniff the network traffic between the front and back ends. You don't need to do anything special in your application to make it work with SSL, since it all happens on the front end.

permanent link

answered 24 Sep '12, 11:33

seanf
12.2k21736
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×92

question asked: 24 Sep '12, 11:03

question was seen: 2,962 times

last updated: 24 Sep '12, 11:33

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM