WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a Yii application installed as a php webapp in /home/myusername/webapps/example. The app is served at www.example.com. This works fine.

Now I want to split the application into two separate applications, a front-end app and a back-end admin area as described in The directory structure of the Yii project site. Without needing to read that document, basically will have an index.php in each app that serves as the entry point for that application.

So the frontend would be served at www.example.com and the backend served at admin.example.com. Ideally I like these two separate applications grouped in the webapps folder. So I'd want folders ~/webapps/example/frontend (to serve the main site) and ~/webapps/example/backend (to server the admin backend). They may share common code in ~/webapps/example/common

How can I set this up in webfaction (in terms of configuring websites, apps, and domains)?

asked 24 Sep '12, 16:15

user
accept rate: 0%

edited 05 Oct '12, 17:37

Use a 'symbolic link' type application and point the 'extra info' to the admin directory(using the file-system path), than bind that to admin.example.com.

permanent link

answered 24 Sep '12, 18:24

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

So would I also create a symbolic link application to ~/webapps/example/frontend and bind it to www.example.com?

(04 Oct '12, 16:44) user

Yes, you can certainly do that for the front-end also. Then again, if your application by default will serve the front-end on the application you already have then you may not need a 3rd app for the front-end.

(04 Oct '12, 18:22) waynek

@waynek: currently my app serves from ~/webapps/myapp. However I'd like to serve it from ~/webapps/myapp/frontend instead. Logically my site only has two applications but it's sounding like I'll need three to pull it off (one "regular" app, and two symbolic link apps). Is creating a symbolic link app the only way to do this or is there another way?

(05 Oct '12, 01:51) user

If your app can't be configured to server from the frontend sub-directory then yes, a symbolic link app is the way to go.

(05 Oct '12, 02:08) waynek
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262
×57
×37
×24
×17

question asked: 24 Sep '12, 16:15

question was seen: 3,674 times

last updated: 05 Oct '12, 17:37

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM