WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I want to be able to assign a WebFaction site as the subdomain on a domain hosted elsewhere, e.g.

www.myweb.com -- hosted by HostA

cool.myweb.com -- hosted by WebFaction

The DNS settings are controlled by HostA. Can I either:

a. Use a CNAME entry to point the subdomain 'cool' to cool.webfactional.com? (I tried this but I get the site not configured error).

OR

b. Purchase a static IP and put an A record for 'cool' to the static IP, ie can you refer to a webfaction web site by it's ip address if you have a static ip?

Any other way to do this?

asked 28 Sep '12, 07:52

snowd
accept rate: 0%

edited 28 Sep '12, 07:53

You can add cool.myweb.com as a domain on our control panel and then point the A record for that domain to the server's main IP address. No extra IP addresses are needed.

Have a look at our Using Your Own Nameserver guide as well.

permanent link

answered 28 Sep '12, 08:14

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

Perfect. Thanks!

(28 Sep '12, 08:42) snowd

Hi,

This answer is useful, thanks! I'm getting my webfaction-hosted site's ip from my Webfaction's control panel, as explained in "Using your own nameserver". Can I trust that this ip number won't change unnoticedly?

Thanks! David

(17 Mar '15, 20:07) dpico

@dpico correct, your IP will not change without prior notification from us.

The only possible exception to this would be an emergency hardware migration between two different data centers, in which case the IP would not be portable.

In that case, you'd still be notified, there just wouldn't be much in the way of advance notice.

(17 Mar '15, 20:34) seanf

Thanks @seanf! Great.

(17 Mar '15, 20:52) dpico

Just to clarify - using this method, it's only possible to add a single webfaction subdomain, correct? That is, there's no way to add cool1.myweb.com in addition to cool.myweb.com, since the A records at HostA for cool and cool1 would both point to the same place?

Background: I'm trying to set up multi-tenancy with Mezzanine, which uses domain names and appears to be incompatible with the above. And it doesn't seem like a CNAME, e.g. from cool1.myweb.com -> cool.myweb.com/cool1 would help here.

Maybe it's possible to use apache2 Virtualhost directives? I admit, the Webfaction mapping from domain to "website" (i.e. private port) is a bit of a mystery to me.

Ref: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26246170/configuring-multi-tenancy)

(03 Dec '15, 06:20) helmingstay

You can add as many subdomains as you want like that. Its fine for them to resolve to the same IP address.

"And it doesn't seem like a CNAME, e.g. from cool1.myweb.com -> cool.myweb.com/cool1 would help here." That's not what CNAME records do. Please see this wikipedia article.

"Maybe it's possible to use apache2 Virtualhost directives?" That's close to how our frontend works. For each website entry at your control panel a <server> section (aka nginx's virtualhost definitons) is created.

(03 Dec '15, 10:33) iliasr ♦♦

Yes, thanks for the CNAME correction (e.g. only domain name, no path info - I always mess that up).

Oh wow, Mezzanine multi-tenancy is now working like magic! Not sure what I messed up the first time through.

Question - is there any way to view the DNS special sauce in effect specific time/account from the commandline? Or more docs related to this worth reading?

(04 Dec '15, 06:55) helmingstay

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'DNS special sauce' but the most common and flexible tool to verify dns records and troubleshoot issues is probably dig, which is installed on all our servers.

(04 Dec '15, 12:53) iliasr ♦♦

R.e. special sauce (which I see is not DNS):

""Maybe it's possible to use apache2 Virtualhost directives?" That's close to how our frontend works. For each website entry at your control panel a <server> section (aka nginx's virtualhost definitons) is created."

I create domains on webfaction, and I point them to the server IP address. I understand the internals of that part. Using the control panel, I can create "websites" that match apps (which are served on internal ports) to Domain+Path.

Question: Is there any way to inspect the state of these mappings from the commandline, or is the control panel the only way to create a "website" from a combination of webapp and domain+path?

(05 Dec '15, 05:28) helmingstay

You can make changes to the control panel using the API, which can be ran from the command line once you write a script which does what you wish.

(05 Dec '15, 06:25) johns

Perfect, thanks!

(05 Dec '15, 23:37) helmingstay
showing 5 of 11 show 6 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×104
×76
×19
×11

question asked: 28 Sep '12, 07:52

question was seen: 5,907 times

last updated: 05 Dec '15, 23:37

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM