WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I know that WebFaction uses nginx as frontend server for static files.

I'm trying to deploy a Django project with gunicorn and nginx configured as reverse proxy. I wonder if I have to install a local copy of nginx with a local .conf file, or if it's possible to use the main nginx server with the same local .conf file, and how.

asked 29 Sep '12, 19:06

Guandalino
accept rate: 0%

You can use the shared frontend Nginx server - just install a custom app (listening on port) through the control panel, then configure your Gunicorn server to listen to the port assigned to this new app, and assign that app to your site in the control panel. Nginx will forward requests for that site to the specified port.

permanent link

answered 30 Sep '12, 02:11

todork
1.2k4
accept rate: 34%

Where do my custom configuration file for the shared nginx go? In ~/etc ?

(30 Sep '12, 10:51) Guandalino

You will only be able to do any customizing via .htaccess files. You can not change the configuration of the system Nginx. For that you would need to install your own instance of Nginx.

(30 Sep '12, 11:24) bmeyer71 ♦♦

Thanks, just a final question. I already have gunicorn controlled by supervisord. Do I have to put nginx under it, too?

(30 Sep '12, 12:13) Guandalino

If you are meaning the system wide install, you can not control that. If anything needs to be done we would have to do it. For your own install, you can monitor/control it however is best for you.

(30 Sep '12, 12:17) bmeyer71 ♦♦

I thought that nginx didn't support .htaccess files. How do you propose configuring nginx via an .htaccess file?

(25 Jun '13, 10:51) RevNoah
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×186
×113
×32
×29

question asked: 29 Sep '12, 19:06

question was seen: 4,854 times

last updated: 25 Jun '13, 10:51

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM