WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

I am interested to become a webfaction user for my webapp. But I need to have a SSL certificate for HTTPS. I read Webfaction allows it with SNI, but I read too that SNI is not supported by browsers on Windows XP, which is still a large share of the market (25%).

I read that I can still buy a dedicated IP Address and to buy a SSL certificate from a provider and that you install it on my webfaction instance.

How does it work ? for example, what do I have to do after my subscription to webfaction to enable the SSL certificate on my instance with a dedicated IP Adress ?

Is the cost for a dedicated IP address still 5$/month ?

Is there anything else I need to know ?

Thanks by advance Bastien

asked 10 Oct '12, 04:33

bastien
accept rate: 0%

Yes, the cost is still $5/month for a dedicated IP address, and we can have an IP address provisioned - all you need is a valid SSL certificate ready before you order the IP.

You can simply open a support ticket or upgrade request and order an IP address. The IP address provisioning process usually requires between 48 and 72 hours.

For many applications (for example, a website admin interface), SNI is sufficient. However, if you need a dedicated IP address to support browsers which don't support SNI, that option is still available.

Lastly, it's not correct that "SNI is not supported by browsers on Windows XP" - it's actually supported by Firefox and Chrome, so it's only Internet Explorer which does not support SNI on Windows XP. This usually reduces the share to much less than 25%, although still significant.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 10 Oct '12, 04:41

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93160
accept rate: 43%

edited 10 Oct '12, 04:47

Thanks Ryan, perfect answer for me. Bastien

(10 Oct '12, 04:43) bastien

Are you able to use one dedicated IP with multiple sites on one certificate (widchart for subdomains, etc.)?

(09 Mar '15, 19:44) ibobik
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×73
×11
×6
×4

question asked: 10 Oct '12, 04:33

question was seen: 2,984 times

last updated: 09 Mar '15, 19:44

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM