WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

I'm not familiar with hosting rules and tricks. So maybe my question could seem a bit "stupid"...

I'im going to take a webfaction instance on the server in Amsterdam. I currently live in France. France is my first targeting market and USA will be the second.

I wanted to know if it's possible, and if yes, how, to "simulate" that my server is in France and not in Amsterdam. I think it will works with another server that I buy in France, which redirects to the server in Amsterdam. I read it's called Reverse Proxy, but "reverse proxy" seems to have some other meanings (nginx).

Does anybody do something like that for their needs ?

I want to do that just for SEO which seems to be better when the server is in the targeting country.

Thanks by advance Bastien

asked 10 Oct '12, 04:41

bastien
accept rate: 0%

Yes, this is certainly possible, but it's not something I would recommend because I don't think the SEO improvement will be noticeable. But if you want to do this, you can. You would use something like this:

1. You would point the DNS for your server to the IP address of a server in France
  2. You would create an SSH tunnel from the French server to the Amsterdam server using something like ssh -L 127.0.0.1:5555:127.0.0.1:80 your_wf_user@webNNN.webfaction.com
  3. You would configure the French front-end server (such as Nginx) to use a proxy_pass directive to forward the request to 127.0.0.1:5555 which will then travel through the tunnel to your webfaction server.
  4. You would create a Custom Application (listening on port) which runs on the WebFaction server listening on 127.0.0.1:6666 (modify "6666" to whichever port is assigned by the Control Panel)

Then, in order to ensure that this SSH tunnel is kept alive as long as possible, you would use both autossh and a watchdog script together.

Again, I personally don't think the SEO benefits would be noticeable, but if you want to do this, go right ahead :)

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 10 Oct '12, 04:58

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93260
accept rate: 43%

edited 10 Oct '12, 04:59

Thanks for the quick and so clear answer Ryans. As I am not familiar with hosting tricks, it seems not so easy, even with your great explanations, and even more if you think the SEO improvement will not worth it. I think I will let it away for the moment. Bastien

(10 Oct '12, 05:03) bastien
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×97
×25
×9
×3

question asked: 10 Oct '12, 04:41

question was seen: 6,796 times

last updated: 10 Oct '12, 05:03

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM