WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello everyone,

I just set up email on my server for three different mailboxes. I sent some test emails to make sure everything worked between by client and the mail servers for incoming/outgoing mail. After the tests, I saw that my disk usage for one mailbox was at 184kb, the other two at 20kb. The 180kb was the one I was testing it on.

After I was done, I deleted all the files for all the mailboxes (sent, received, junk, inbox, deleted), so basically, there was no files on any of the mailboxes. The thing is, the disk usage for all three of the mailboxes is still showing the same.

My question is, how exactly does the storage and deletion of emails on the server affect the data usage? I would imagine that after I deleted all the files, they would all go down to 20kb (some space is required, I understand that).

Anyone know about this?

Thanks, Imran

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 01 Nov '12, 11:36

imrkha1629
accept rate: 0%

My question is, how exactly does the storage and deletion of emails on the server affect the data usage? I would imagine that after I deleted all the files, they would all go down to 20kb (some space is required, I understand that).

Email stored on the server counts toward your storage quota, like anything else.

The disk usage stats displayed in our control panel are not real-time - they are computed every 6 hours. So, wait a few hours and then check your stats again. If you still see a problem after that time, then please open a support ticket and we'll look into it further. Thanks!

permanent link

answered 01 Nov '12, 12:06

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

edited 01 Nov '12, 12:07

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×260
×20
×3
×2

question asked: 01 Nov '12, 11:36

question was seen: 2,371 times

last updated: 03 Nov '12, 07:44

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM