WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm pretty green, but I'm trying to build & install a custom nginx instance so that I can make use of HttpRealipModule. Is there a preferred way of carrying out this task?

I was following this reference: Webfaction: Compiling & Installing A Custom Nginx Instance, but I reached a dead-end because...

UPDATE

I run the following steps:

$ export PATH=/home/<me>/local/sbin:$PATH
$ source ~/.bashrc
$ echo $PATH
home/<me>/local/sbin/bin:<my previous $PATH>

Problem 1: Whereas I prepend /home/<me>/local/sbin to the path, after I run source my path has something incorrect prepended to it: /home/<me>/local/sbin/bin. (There's not even any bin dir in my /home/<me>/local/sbin dir.) What am I to do?

Problem 2: The change appears not to persist. When I open a new shell and run echo $PATH, the old $PATH value is echoed.

asked 05 Nov '12, 12:40

TwitTheKnife
accept rate: 0%

edited 06 Nov '12, 09:49

You should be able to edit your .bashrc to make the changes permanent. Maybe open a support ticket for us to take a closer look at your account.

(05 Nov '12, 15:36) bmeyer71 ♦♦

Ah. It turns out that I can edit .bashrc. It's merely that permissions on the file were not set to allow its execution. I have now changed permissions to make it executable.

But that is ancillary to the problem at hand. Would you give my update above a look?

(06 Nov '12, 09:43) TwitTheKnife

Regarding Problem 1:

In this example you are doing:

(1): Set a new PATH with the correct value
(2): Run all of the commands in ~/.bashrc
(3): Show that the PATH is wrong

This leads us to believe that something in ~/.bashrc is wrong. Can you post verbatim the lines you've added to that file?

Regarding Problem 2:

The ~/.bashrc file is sourced by bash, not executed as a program, so it doesn't need to be executable. This file is also the key to making environment changes persist when opening a new shell, so it is the absolute crux of the issue. It should have 644 permissions and unix line-endings.

(06 Nov '12, 22:11) ryans ♦♦
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×186
×11

question asked: 05 Nov '12, 12:40

question was seen: 2,190 times

last updated: 06 Nov '12, 22:11

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM