WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I tried this alone a couple of times and every time I was forced to contact support crew to get this done. Question is rather simple. I want to create subdomain images on my domain test.com. 1) I want this subdomain to be under test.com domain, meaning test.com folder(root) 2) I want this subdomain to be outside test.com and in root folder where test.com resides - just like this site_1 site_2 images test.com site_5 site_6

I know that this is not an easy task and that it requires that famous setfacl :) command but step by step explanation would be appreciated.

asked 20 Dec '10, 05:14

zlatiborac
accept rate: 0%

As you may already know, (sub)domains are not directly linked to folders on our side (this kind of linking only makes sense in the special case of Static/CGI/PHP apps, and we provide much more than that). Instead, Applications are mapped to folders, and (sub)Domains are mapped to Applications via Websites. The subdomain/URL structure does not have to correspond to the actual directory structure on the server - these are independent.

So, what you should do is:

1. Create the subdomain
  2. Create the application where the subdomain files will reside. You can choose to create a "Symlink to a Static/CGI/PHP app" here, so that the application points to some of your existing folders. If the new appliation is called "images", this will create an application folder of ~/webapps/images under your account.
  3. Create a new website record, which maps the root URL of the subdomain to the newly created application

There is no "setfacl" involved in the above process.

permanent link

answered 20 Dec '10, 05:30

tie
1.4k13
accept rate: 44%

edited 20 Dec '10, 05:31

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×76
×11
×3

question asked: 20 Dec '10, 05:14

question was seen: 6,797 times

last updated: 20 Dec '10, 05:31

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM