WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, following this link to setup a new django app. I ran into trouble earlier and decided to start over.

This time I want to be clear abut the following.

Everything is find with the tutorial until after I have created the database and get to this point:

Creating a Website Entry

1. Click Domains / websites ? Websites. The Sites page appears.
  2. Click the Add new (add new) button. The Add page appears.

On the Websites page, I see my site (already a subdomain) and apps, but I don't see an "Add page" option at the top or in the detail of my site. If I click on the "Add a new website" link I do not see the options to select a sub-domain, etc.

This time I really need to find out what the correct alternative is to this, since the control panel does not seem to agree with the tutorial.

asked 02 Dec '12, 05:44

webfunction
accept rate: 100%

edited 02 Dec '12, 06:10

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14

Apologies for this confusion. We have recently changed our Websites UI and we haven't yet updated some parts of our documentation pages.

What you can do is to click on the Add new website button on the top of the page, name it, and start typing the domains and subdomains your django application you want to be served from in the "Domains" field.

Then, at the contents section, click the link to "Add a new webapp" and select "Reuse an existing Web App". On the new popup window select your django app and click the white "Add app" button.

Now, back in the previous page, click the blue "Add website" button. That should save it and your website will be browsable in a few minutes.

If you have already assigned the domain you want your django app to be served from, then either remove it from the existing website entry, by clicking on the entry and then locating the domain in the "Domains" section and click the little gray X next to it, and create a new one as described above. Or you can click the "Add a web app" link and then "Reuse an existing Web App" and link your app to the website in the popup shown.

permanent link

answered 02 Dec '12, 06:10

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

Thanks for your answer.

Having already taken the steps via the new interface of creating the django app, static media, and database, can I safely skip the "Creating a Website Entry" step?

I ask because, when I follow your suggestion, adding a new name and selecting "Reuse an existing Web App" I get the following when I try to save:

(http://url) is already used in sites with the same IP address - you need to edit the exisiting site record first.

Opps, I see a typo in the error pop-up! ;-)

I wonder about the need to delete what I set up before.

The original tutorial steps call for adding "/" and "/static" in the URL fields, which is not available in the new process.

This makes me think that maybe this part has already been setup for me at this point.

Or do do I in fact need to delete as you suggested above?

(02 Dec '12, 06:45) webfunction

A domain (or subdomain) can't be in two different website enties, unless they are referencing different servers.

If there are no apps in production on the existing site record that uses the domain you want, you can probably delete it. Although others might just edit it instead of deleting.

We can't see your current configuration using this QA section, so I can't really tell what's better for your case. If you want, you can open a ticket so we have a more thorough look.

Regarding the '/' and '/static' URL fields, you can set them on the "Reuse an existing app" window. First add the app that you want to serve from the '/' and when you try to edit that again, you should see a white field where you can complete the URL path by typing 'static'.

(02 Dec '12, 08:26) iliasr ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×908
×37
×4
×3
×3

question asked: 02 Dec '12, 05:44

question was seen: 2,550 times

last updated: 02 Dec '12, 08:26

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM