WebFaction
Community site: login faq

There seems to be a permission issue with my WordPress installation on Webfaction. Here are the symptoms:

• When trying to upload any new image in the Media section the following error is shown:

“image.jpg” has failed to upload due to an error Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2012/12. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

• When trying to install a plugin or a theme WordPress is requesting that FTP credentials be provided every time.

I'm an experienced WordPress user and have used it on other hosting services as well as locally, so I've gone through all the normal checks (i.e. folder permissions, deleting and recreating the uploads folder, changes file upload limit, duplicate the installation on another hosting service to test the installation, reinstalling WordPress, etc).

It seems clear that the WordPress installation doesn't have permission to perform it's regular task of uploading and moving files on the server. Is there any way to have this resolved?

Website: http://concordiavolunteers.org/ (http://cvap.invisiblehands.ca)

Thank you

asked 05 Dec '12, 08:36

atombob's gravatar image

atombob
accept rate: 0%

I'm having the same issue. Did you open a ticket? What did they say? Thanks!

(12 Dec '12, 13:53) pelegrini pelegrini's gravatar image

The problem is that one of your secondary FTP users owns all of the files and directories in your WP app directory, and your permissions are set so that your main account user cannot access them.

I've fixed the permissions on the directories to fix both of these problems, and I think you should be OK now. If you continue to have difficulties, please open a support ticket and we'll look into it further.

permanent link

answered 05 Dec '12, 18:29

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
11.4k21132
accept rate: 37%

@seanf Thanks for the help, unfortunately it doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. I'll have a support ticket opened.

(06 Dec '12, 12:27) atombob atombob's gravatar image

@seanf I seem to have the same problem - my secondary FTP users owns all of the files and directories in my WP app directory, and my permissions are set so that my main account user cannot access them.

How do I give my main account access to the folders?

Thanks!

permanent link

answered 24 Mar, 16:13

sazman's gravatar image

sazman
accept rate: 0%

You can't change ownership yourself, since that requires root privileges. Please open a support ticket for assistance.

(24 Mar, 16:17) seanf ♦♦ seanf's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×228
×60
×12

question asked: 05 Dec '12, 08:36

question was seen: 4,384 times

last updated: 24 Mar, 16:17

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM