WebFaction
Community site: login faq

i have a site on webfaction running on askbot. i am not a technical person please tell me the step by step way to update askbot. i am using 0.7.43 and want to upgrade it in 0.7.44

asked 06 Dec '12, 12:44

Pramvir Rath...
accept rate: 0%

edited 06 Dec '12, 12:46

There is no step-by-step guide to upgrade a given Django project from version X to Y unless it is published by the people who write the software. I was able to find a few questions about the process on their community forum, but no step-by-step guide. You will need to learn how to develop or hire a developer to do the work for you.

These are some reasons it is a specialized task, and not something which could be given a step-by-step guide which would apply in all cases,

1. Database schema migration is a tedious process even with a tool like 'django-south' which automates most the process. It takes a developer who is well versed in Django, your app in particular, and the database software you are using to perform database schema migrations. Schema migrations are required anytime mode code changes.
  2. Although your app is 'askbot', and you give version numbers that really does not give us in a public forum enough to know everything which might be different with your code and any updated code. We would have to see all live code examples and be able to edit your account in real-time.
  3. Extensive debugging through trial and error will be required to find any possible issues which may arise between upgrading the old library within your project.

We are happy to answer any technical questions you may have about the server enviroment or deploying software on that enviroment with support tickets, but we can not perform development work for you as it is outside of our scope of support.

permanent link

answered 06 Dec '12, 17:36

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×17

question asked: 06 Dec '12, 12:44

question was seen: 1,809 times

last updated: 06 Dec '12, 17:36

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM