WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I would like to create a folder that is not accessible from the internet and is outside of the "www." root. I know that some hosting services allow this to be done, but I am not sure how to do it with Webfaction or if Webfaction even offers this capability. The reason I need this type of folder is to aid in the security of my site and server when users upload files (thus, other alternatives are certainly less favorable.) How might I go about doing this? Thank you!

asked 08 Dec '12, 11:34

jrz1026
accept rate: 0%

How are you doing the uploads? Via ftp/sftp?

(08 Dec '12, 13:31) bmeyer71 ♦♦

Via a file upload form in PHP. I am storing a reference in the database and storing the file in a separate, non-accesible directory (the directory is outside the www. root and cannot be accessed via the web). I will also implement some .htaccess, but I do not want to rely on it alone. I would like as much security as possible.

(08 Dec '12, 15:55) jrz1026

You should be able to create the directory in your home directory then if you wanted. As long as your application can read and write to that directory, it would only be accessible via your application.

(08 Dec '12, 16:46) bmeyer71 ♦♦
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×97
×69
×8
×6
×3

question asked: 08 Dec '12, 11:34

question was seen: 3,161 times

last updated: 08 Dec '12, 16:46

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM