WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a Python 2.7 script at https://github.com/jhsu802701/dopplervalueinvesting . When I run the screen.py script locally, the end result is a new screen-output sub-directory (within the root directory) and a results.csv file within it.

What I'm trying to do is put this script on a remote server, run this screen.py script every night, and make the results.csv file publicly readable.

I've tried to do this on Google App Engine, but I can't get it to work. The Google App Engine tutorial revolves around trying to dynamically create a web site, and I haven't been able to figure out how to make anything other than an index.html file in the root directory work. I haven't had any better luck on Heroku.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. How easy would it be to run my script and make the output files public on WebFaction?
  2. Does WebFaction provide lxml or at least make it as easy to install lxml on my remote server as it was to install lxml on my home computer? (lxml is available from the Linux Mint Debian Edition repository. And it is an essential part of my script.) If WebFaction can make it easy for me to do what I'm trying to do, then I am changing web hosts. (I had no problems with MDDHosting, but I can't have lxml under the shared hosting plan.)

asked 08 Dec '12, 20:44

dopplervalue...
accept rate: 100%

This would be trivial to do on WebFaction. We have python2.7 installed already (along with every python from 2.4 to 3.2), for which you can also install your own python modules. Running things in screen is easy, and we have a powerful SSH environment under which you can install or compile most software if needed (see this). We also don't have any restrictions on long-running processes except that you ensure they don't eat up all of the server's resources (maybe run it through nice and/or ionice).

Python packages are trivial to install, too. I just installed lxml on a test account using the command easy_install-2.7 lxml. This installs it into your home directory in ~/lib/python2.7, and you can immediately run python2.7 and import lxml afterwards.

Finally, we're very familiar with python and with the types of things you're trying to setup, so we'll be able to provide any support you need to get it working.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 08 Dec '12, 20:52

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93460
accept rate: 43%

edited 08 Dec '12, 20:54

Thanks, WebFaction continues to sound like the solution I'm looking for.

What nice level should I use for my script to ensure that I don't eat up all of the server's resources? Are there other steps I should take?

To ensure better performance and minimize the impact of my script on server loads (host and upstream), I plan to schedule my script to run during the wee hours of the morning Eastern Time.

(08 Dec '12, 21:49) dopplervalue...

You don't need to put your application at maximum nice level, just something like nice -n10 ionice -c2 -n5 <your command here> will be fine; it won't strain the server, but it won't get stuck either.

If you're also going to run the script at times when the server's not under much load, you could get away with nice -n5 ionice -c2 -n3 <your command here> or so without any trouble.

(08 Dec '12, 21:56) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×337
×52
×9

question asked: 08 Dec '12, 20:44

question was seen: 34,464 times

last updated: 08 Dec '12, 21:56

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM