WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am attempting some more speed ups with my wordpress config. I'm already serving static files through nginx, running fastcgi (3 processes x 64mb a piece), and w3tc.

My specific questions relates to memcached. We've recently gone full SSL (for e-commerce etc) and security is a pretty important thing.

I've recently read about the insecurity of a memcached server, particularly in a shared environment. I then found these directions to run it locally and I was curious how secure that setup might be.

Also, are there any performance considerations either way?

Does anyone have any data on memcached in this environment? I've also heard that it is most beneficial as a shared cache (most likely on a separate server) for a group of servers. Will filesystem caching provide 90% of the benefits making memcached a bit of overkill?

asked 13 Dec '12, 18:24

stoolio
accept rate: 0%

edited 13 Dec '12, 18:26

If you are in any doubt you should not cache SSL content. However as long as the socket that memcached is listening on is within your home directory it should be secure.

Any speculation on which method or deployment would be faster would have to be built and bench-marked running your code.

permanent link

answered 13 Dec '12, 20:28

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

First of all if you want to use memcached, then you must know how it works, to get the max benefits of it.

Will filesystem caching provide 90% of the benefits making memcached a bit of overkill?

memcached gives greatest performance as an in-memory cache, if you are seeing it as a filesystem based cache, then do a benchmark of both for your requirements as Johns pointed out.

permanent link

answered 14 Dec '12, 07:44

Prajwal
accept rate: 33%

I'm not seeing memcached as a filesystem based cache.

W3 Total Cache, the caching plugin I use for Wordpress, supports several different caching implementations. The most basic is a filesytem cache, which I am currently using.

I was just curious if anyone else had experience in working with caching and Wordpress so that they might have some insight into whether the bottlneck preventing faster page loading is disk IO (which is where memcached can help, by storing everything in memory), or something else. Plus, the OS has a kind of built-in caching that keeps frequently used stuff in memory anyway AFAIK, which might make memcache unnecessary for this use case. W3 Total Cache even specifies it as an option for multiple servers.

In addition, W3 Total Cache has support for Page, Minify, Database, and Object caches which might best be served by different caches.

I realize that even among Wordpress sites, that answer might be different. I just don't necessarily have time to test all day, as website administration is only a small part of my job. Plus, I'm not an expert at testing, so I wouldn't necessarily know if I was really testing the right things.

I might consider Apache Bench (any other suggestions?) to isolate server performance from network performance.

Regardless, I'm migrating to CentOS6 finally for cgroup support (and upping my ram) and I think I want to try to roll my own Nginx+PHP-FPM. I'll probably try to toss in APC and/or memcached and/or a private MySQL instance as memory permits. More info in this question. (I love the fact the webfaction supports all this configurating BTW)

(14 Dec '12, 10:06) stoolio
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×244
×34

question asked: 13 Dec '12, 18:24

question was seen: 3,530 times

last updated: 14 Dec '12, 10:10

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM