WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So I host a few small Wordpress pages for clients, most of them are either personal sites or very low traffic businesses, although one or two share a lot of media on their pages. I've been happy with WebFaction's service, but I've still just got the basic 256MB package.

My question is, at what point should you upgrade to more memory? I am not getting any memory allocation errors or anything, and wouldn't expect to for sometime. What do you think? Let's say 5 small Wordpress sites (~40pages each), ~1000 visits/mo each?

Thanks!

asked 14 Dec '12, 16:08

michaelbrazell
accept rate: 0%

Here is the awesome thing:

If you are running your wordpress stock (using the app that webfaction provides) you aren't actually using any of your account memory.

Wordpress is served out of the shared apache instance.

If you are using FastCGI, it will use your accounts memory. There are some benefits to using FastCGI, but if your happy with the performance (and you've already got a caching plugin set-up) I wouldn't change anything.

I upgraded to 512 because I'm going to be running my own instance of Nginx+PHP-FPM+APC. I was running FastCGI (for one site) on the 256 plan and it worked out great.

You can go here to get a bit of code that will add up your memory consumption. I added it to my .bashrc like this:

alias getmem="ps -u <username> -o pid,rss,command | awk '{print $0}{sum+=$2} END {print "'"'"Total"'"'", sum/1024, "'"'"MB"'"'"}'"'

So I can just ssh in and type "getmem" to see my memory consumption. (The goofy "'"'" stuff is to ensure all of the quotes show up right in the command)

permanent link

answered 14 Dec '12, 17:19

stoolio
accept rate: 0%

You need to ugprade your memory when you have long-running processes for which the total RAM usage exceeds your RAM allowance, or if you are expecting high traffic that will cause those processes to exceed your RAM allowance when it arrives.

If you're running only 5 small Wordpress sites (~40pages each), ~1000 visits/mo each, on our default shared PHP stack, then you probably don't need to worry about upgrading your RAM, ever.

permanent link

answered 14 Dec '12, 17:25

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×244
×87
×40

question asked: 14 Dec '12, 16:08

question was seen: 2,269 times

last updated: 14 Dec '12, 17:25

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM