WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm not sure of the best way to work this out.

I am building my own stack of Nginx+PHP-FPM/APC+MariaDB.

Install directions (which assume you are working on a full VPS or system with root access) suggest that you use a separate user for database, server, etc

Since we aren't working on a system with full root access, does it matter that the whole stack runs as the same user?

Should I create a mysql (or mariadb I suppose) user like prefix-mariadb (since usernames are going to be system wide). Or, should I just run everything under my main account?

Lastly, if I would be creating separate users, they definitely don't need sftp access. I would rather not leave that open since it's not needed, but it doesn't seem like there is a way to limit it from the control panel. I also don't think we can create users from the command line either (giving us more control)

asked 17 Dec '12, 15:53

stoolio
accept rate: 0%

You should be running all web code as the primary account user. Although sub-users may work now, they are only intended to grant users access to files and we may change how things work in the future if we need to for security. Although for the time being it should work if you wanted to build the database as a sub-user.

You can do most things the control panel does in code, including make new users with the API.

permanent link

answered 17 Dec '12, 17:28

johns ♦♦
5.3k212
accept rate: 23%

That's actually really awesome. I love Webfaction. (about the API).

(17 Dec '12, 18:05) stoolio
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×37
×21

question asked: 17 Dec '12, 15:53

question was seen: 1,751 times

last updated: 17 Dec '12, 18:05

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM