WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

A client has a website already. Now he wanted to me to recreate the project and host it in webfaction. Project is ready to be uploaded.

What do I need to do, apart from the standard procedure (done it many times, already)?

domain name is registered with godaddy and DNS entries point to another host.

Shall I create the project here, as if it were new (ie create a domain an app and a website), and then modify DNS entries in GoDaddy to point in webfaction and finally wait for a few hours and everything will be fine?

Thanks, Chris

PS: Project is in Django -- though I doubt it matters.

asked 30 Dec '12, 05:50

xpanta
accept rate: 0%

Yes, those are the correct steps to get the application running and DNS transferred. I would suggest using the webfactional subdomain that comes with your account to test the new project on WebFaction in the interim before switching DNS.

You may want to get the DNS TTL lowered (300 seconds) for the domain a few days ahead so the DNS changes are picked up quickly when you are ready to make the change. That will hep minimize any downtime.

permanent link

answered 30 Dec '12, 06:30

aaront ♦♦
accept rate: 27%

Thank you. One final question. The idea of using the webfactional subdomain for testing was a nice one. But what if it was already used for testing another app? Can't I use it for multiple tests? (ie. by creating more testing subdomains under this subdomain)

(30 Dec '12, 06:40) xpanta

You are welcome! Yes, you can create additional subdomains and use them on the webfactional domain via the Control Panel.

There is no reason you can not have test1.username.webfactional.com, test2..username.webfactional.com, etc pointing to different applications for testing.

(30 Dec '12, 06:45) aaront ♦♦

fantastic, thank you!

(30 Dec '12, 07:06) xpanta
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×104

question asked: 30 Dec '12, 05:50

question was seen: 3,912 times

last updated: 30 Dec '12, 07:06

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM