WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have several websites that have a specific subdomain of my main domain, for example, dev.myurl.com. Now I want to create a website that has a wildcard subdomain *.myurl.com. Will dev.myurl.com still be able to go to the right app or will there be a conflict? I saw that someone had written "But just then I noticed that they can co-exist if the specific is a CNAME redirect. feedback.url.com External (Cname)"

Is there a conflict? Does using a cname redirect change anything? Or, is there another way to handle this? I want every non-specific subdomain to be handled by the same Django app. I will then extract the subdomain as part of my code.

asked 04 Jan '13, 01:58

tpip
accept rate: 0%

Or, is there a way to automatically add domains to a website? So, if a user chooses the name "peterspage" then a domain "peterspage.myurl.com" gets added to the website without any manual intervention?

(04 Jan '13, 02:40) tpip

Actually, trying to add a wildcard subdomain .myurl.com to a website doesn't work. It says that it's not a valid domain even though I was able to create the domain .myurl.dk. Is it not possible to add a wildcard subdomain to a website?

(04 Jan '13, 02:51) tpip

Is there a conflict? Does using a cname redirect change anything? Or, is there another way to handle this? I want every non-specific subdomain to be handled by the same Django app. I will then extract the subdomain as part of my code.

No conflict - just add the wildcard subdomain to the control panel, then assign it to your site.

Or, is there a way to automatically add domains to a website? So, if a user chooses the name "peterspage" then a domain "peterspage.myurl.com" gets added to the website without any manual intervention?

If you want to go that route, then you can use our control panel API for that. Modify your registration function to include code that creates the subdomain and adds it to your site:

Is it not possible to add a wildcard subdomain to a website?

It's definitely possible. It will probably be easier for us to resolve this if you open a support ticket to give us the specifics.

permanent link

answered 04 Jan '13, 11:02

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×76

question asked: 04 Jan '13, 01:58

question was seen: 4,063 times

last updated: 04 Jan '13, 11:02

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM