WebFaction
Community site: login faq

We are in the process of transferring our site from static HTML (sitename.org) to a WordPress site. I've installed WP into a separate directory (wp.sitename.org) in preparation of entering in several years worth of updates/content. I'm working on the theme on a localhost setup and will upload that theme once it's done. Once I've got the older content entered, I will switch the domain from the HTML site to the WP site.

However, I cannot access the wp.sitename.org site at all, after more than 4 days of waiting for the DNS entry to update. All browsers give me a "site not found" error.

The files exist, I can see them through Filezilla, but I simply cannot get to the site to configure WP (setting up new password, etc).

Here are the steps I took (in order):

1. Installed app through the sites control panel
  2. Made sure the files existed via Filezilla
  3. Added a new domain (db.sitename.org)
  4. Waited (im)-patiently for DNS to take hold.

As I've said, it's been 4 days now since I did this, and I cannot get to it. Any suggestions on how to get this moving would be appreciated. I'm thinking that perhaps I did something wrong, or out of order in the above, but who knows...

asked 08 Jan '13, 10:59

IFGS_Tech_Chair
accept rate: 0%

Are your domain's name servers configured to point at webfactions name servers?
If not, the settings you apply in the control panel will not effect your domain at all and you must either manually add the domain to your registrars dns or configure your registrar to use WebFaction's nameservers.

I use NameCheap and it looks like this: NameCheap name servers

permanent link

answered 08 Jan '13, 15:57

bitspill

I just took a look at the account in question and it does indeed look like that the domain is not configured to use WebFaction's name servers, so the above answer is the correct solution.

More information about pointing domains at our service is available in our domain documentation.

(08 Jan '13, 17:53) seanf

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the name servers JUST for email? That's what I've always believed. Yes, our email is run off of Google Apps but for this interim site, we are not setting up email. It will eventually replace our static HTML site so new email addresses will not be necessary.

At that point, as far as I can tell, all I will need to do is change the entries under "websites" in our control panel to map to the WP site.

So, do the name servers really need to be set up in order for us to even view the site?

(09 Jan '13, 17:43) IFGS_Tech_Chair

Name servers are not just for email - they control all of the DNS records for your domain, including A records (typically used to specify the IP address of your web host) and MX records (the names of your mail exchangers). If you're using external DNS and haven't set your A records to point to your WebFaction web server IP, then your site won't work.

(09 Jan '13, 18:00) seanf

Well, it took a while to find out where our name servers are held, and how to get into them (had to contact our old admin), but I've got it working for now.

Now to get WP configured securely...

Thanks for all the help.

(10 Jan '13, 17:04) IFGS_Tech_Chair

You're very welcome! Please let us know if you need anything else.

(10 Jan '13, 17:09) seanf

Did you create the website to link the application to the domain?

https://my.webfaction.com/new-website

1) Name it
2) Choose whether it's accessible over http:// or https://
3) Choose the domain to serve it (wp.sitename.org)
4) Click "Add a web app"
5) Click "Re-Use an existing Web App"
6) Choose your app
7) Add App
8) Add Website

permanent link

answered 08 Jan '13, 13:41

bitspill

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I've done that. (I knew I was skipping a step when I entered my post above) The website is set up using the app wp-Web183.

(08 Jan '13, 15:44) IFGS_Tech_Chair
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×128
×104

question asked: 08 Jan '13, 10:59

question was seen: 6,986 times

last updated: 10 Jan '13, 17:09

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM