WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am trying to set up https for a shopping cart. I followed Webfactions excellent documentation to generate the CSR.

I am using ComodoSSL and after entering the CSR key I must select the server software used to generate the CSR.

There are lots of options, but what look most familiar are:

Apache - ModSSL

Apache (Ben SSL, Not Stronghold)

nginx

Please advise - thanks!

asked 16 Jan '13, 14:59

shipwreck
accept rate: 50%

I seem to remember something about Webfaction using a combination of nginx and apache?

(16 Jan '13, 14:59) shipwreck

Go with "Apache - ModSSL".

permanent link

answered 16 Jan '13, 15:39

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

I just bought an ssl certificate from cheapssls.com and had to specify Apache + OpenSSL. Going with Apache ModSSL their CSR validator said Error, Unable to Parse CSR, Unable to Parse CSR as the common name provided by the service provider is empty.

(06 Dec '13, 12:47) redtk

The "Common Name" is your domain name. So that error message means that you forgot to enter your domain name while generating your CSR. You will need to re-generate it. If you continue to have difficulty, you can consider using an online tool such as https://csrgenerator.com/ .

(06 Dec '13, 18:44) likebike

The command used to generate it was openssl

So i would go with Apache + OpenSSL

:)

permanent link

answered 26 Jul '13, 00:45

VeenarM
accept rate: 0%

Hi I used java keytool to generate the CSR and i will install my certificate on Tomcat , what should i choose

permanent link

answered 29 Jan '15, 05:51

anant_jauhari
accept rate: 0%

It's the same answer - "Apache - ModSSL".

Even though your application will run on HTTPS with a certificate, you won't actually be installing that certificate into your Tomcat server. Instead, we'd install it onto the front-end Nginx server and decrypted data would be proxy_pass'ed to and from your application.

So, in that architecture, it's only important for the front-end webserver (Nginx in this case) to be able to use the certificate, and Nginx is compatible with the "Apache - ModSSL" certificate type.

(29 Jan '15, 06:19) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×97
×93
×15
×7

question asked: 16 Jan '13, 14:59

question was seen: 10,827 times

last updated: 29 Jan '15, 06:19

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM