WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have static/CGI/PHP webapp that's serving MediaWiki, which is working fine. I wanted to put in another PHP app under the same webapp in a different subdirectory, so I uploaded it and extracted it, but when I navigate to the appropriate url I get 403 forbidden. The permissions set are the same as for the MediaWiki install that's working fine. Looking at the error log, it seems that it's upset that there's no .htaccess file, but there's no .htaccess for any directory in the MediaWiki install either, so why should that be necessary? Should a blank .htaccess file work (but I'd rather not have to create it at all)?

asked 21 Jan '13, 16:47

sagittarian
accept rate: 0%

A blank .htaccess file shouldn't be any different than no .htaccess file, but any .htaccess file which is unreadable by the webserver's user ("apache") will produce a 403 forbidden, as well as any directory the webserver cannot traverse. If you'd like us to determine if a file can or cannot be accessed by the webserver, or at which point access becomes denied, just open a support ticket and we'll be happy to check for you.

That said, usually an "application in a subdirectory" means creating a new normal application in your webapps directory, and then mounting that application on a subpath of a URL, rather than physically placing the code in a subdirectory of another application.

permanent link

answered 21 Jan '13, 18:27

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93260
accept rate: 43%

Thanks for the reply. I will open a ticket. What are the advantages of creating a new webapp and mounting it on a given subpath, as opposed to serving the root of the domain with a static/CGI/PHP webapp and creating new subdirectories under that webapp?

(In the meantime I installed a different app in the same webapp, and that works. It's just the one that for some reason is giving 403 forbidden.)

(22 Jan '13, 10:00) sagittarian

What are the advantages of creating a new webapp and mounting it on a given subpath, as opposed to serving the root of the domain with a static/CGI/PHP webapp and creating new subdirectories under that webapp?

The former lets you easily install new applications, of any type, via our control panel and add them to your site. The latter requires you to manually create directories and restricts you to serving only static content, PHP scripts, and CGI scripts.

(22 Jan '13, 10:05) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×64
×12
×6
×6

question asked: 21 Jan '13, 16:47

question was seen: 3,938 times

last updated: 22 Jan '13, 10:05

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM