WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a Redmine instance which I am not sufficiently knowledgeable enough to keep secure (especially in light of recent events where Ruby on Rails has been compromised). Past attempts at upgrading it have failed due to esoteric Ruby errors I can't fix, and even if I did manage to muddle through, I wouldn't be confident that everything I need to upgrade has been upgraded.

Is it possible to just create a new Redmine application from the Webfaction control panel and then migrate data over from the old application? If so, how? I don't mind losing plugins and themse etc as long as I keep my data.

asked 31 Jan '13, 18:42

Kylotan
accept rate: 0%

I have followed the instructions on the Redmine Wiki to migrate data from Redmine installation to another one on Webfaction itself. Don't see any reason why it should not work for you.

permanent link

answered 02 Feb '13, 10:50

codelust
accept rate: 50%

I don't see any reason why the instructions wouldn't work either - but they don't. I encountered several problems, usually relating to out of date Ruby Gems, and the last problem I encountered was that the mysql2 database adapter couldn't be found. On top of that, those instructions only update Redmine - I don't know if they update Ruby or Rails.

(08 Feb '13, 16:26) Kylotan

There are two approaches possible:

1. Import data into a new Redmine installation on Webfaction installed from the apps installer.
  2. Import data into a new Rails installation on Webfaction installed from the apps installer.

Which is the one that you're trying out? From what I remember, you don't encounter the mysql2 adapter issue if you're not attempting to start from a clean Rails install (2).

(09 Feb '13, 02:08) codelust

Ok, I think I misunderstood you. I have used the instructions you linked on a manual upgrade and they don't work. However I just managed to get them to work with a new installation. Thanks!

(10 Feb '13, 13:12) Kylotan

You should be able to export then import your database using our documentation here.

permanent link

answered 01 Feb '13, 16:21

bmeyer71 ♦♦
1.5k3613
accept rate: 33%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×81
×46

question asked: 31 Jan '13, 18:42

question was seen: 10,216 times

last updated: 10 Feb '13, 13:12

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM