WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So I'm mighty attracted to the idea of upgrading my service for the big anniversary sale. I'm sitting on a site that I've been working on with a programmer for a couple of years off and on (he's the smart one, I'm a numpty).

The site is programmed in Django, and is very database-intensive. People can write stories on the site, and other people can watch the stories as they get written, where their screen will get frequent updates from the database to update the stories.

If I were to upgrade, what might improve performance? I'm moving toward a phase where I'm going to start doing some mass testing, and we're both worried about what might happen if we get a popular author writing and the site gets hammered.

asked 04 Feb '13, 10:37

mattshepherd
accept rate: 0%

What resource you will need, and thus if a upgrade is required/would help depends on your code. You would have to benchmark the database queries and the threading performed by Apache (or whatever server you happen to be using) to know what your site performs like with various settings. Our 1GB and larger plans have less users per machine, so they are faster.

permanent link

answered 04 Feb '13, 18:30

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

edited 04 Feb '13, 18:34

seanf
12.2k41836

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×97
×84
×40
×9

question asked: 04 Feb '13, 10:37

question was seen: 1,754 times

last updated: 04 Feb '13, 18:34

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM