WebFaction
Community site: login faq

All questions regarding the Shared Apache process.

1. How many shared apache process is running per webfacion-server? If I'm right, they serve all the blogs, static PHP sites for the whole Server.

2. How many concurrent requests or load can they handle? Can I get those numbers.

3. Can the shared apache process be used to run Python/django/ROR apps? Currently It runs all PHP based apps.

If no, why? (My django apps just hits a few hundred requests/day, and so I don't like to run any long running processes, which is counted as user memory)

Feedback: can we have a shared Python Interpreter Process(shared WSGI process), so that it can handle all small django apps(Django based CMS etc)

Thanks.

asked 12 Feb '13, 00:34

Prajwal
accept rate: 33%

edited 12 Feb '13, 00:38

How many shared apache process is running per webfacion-server? If I'm right, they serve all the blogs, static PHP sites for the whole Server.

We run a single shared Apache instance for PHP sites.

How many concurrent requests or load can they handle? Can I get those numbers.

Regarding concurrent requests, our old mod_php servers can handle 5 concurrent requests per customer. Our newer servers use php-cgi or php-fcgi and don't have a fixed concurrent request limit.

Can the shared apache process be used to run Python/django/ROR apps? Currently It runs all PHP based apps.
If no, why? (My django apps just hits a few hundred requests/day, and so I don't like to run any long running processes, which is counted as user memory)
Feedback: can we have a shared Python Interpreter Process(shared WSGI process), so that it can handle all small django apps(Django based CMS etc)

Our shared Apache can be used to serve Python CGI scripts and other CGI scripts, because CGI scripts only run for the duration of a single request and do not consume RAM continuously. It can't be used to serve Django and Rails, as those require long-running back-end processes that will consume RAM all of the time.

permanent link

answered 12 Feb '13, 12:23

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thanks seanf for the detailed answer as always. ;)

(12 Feb '13, 12:27) Prajwal
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×337
×225

question asked: 12 Feb '13, 00:34

question was seen: 1,942 times

last updated: 17 Feb '13, 01:45

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM