WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Subversion is currently at version 1.6.11 which was released nearly 3 years ago. There have been significant developments since in the 1.7 release. This release has been out for 16 months and should be considered stable by now, but I still do not see any support for subversion 1.7. When will this finally materialize? This release has important speed improvements for the server that we need...

asked 12 Feb '13, 01:42

pvh513
accept rate: 0%

We've been using 1.6.x because that's what's provided in the CentOS package repositories. We'll upgrade to 1.7.x when CentOS does.

If you'd like to use 1.7.x now, you're free to build it from source in your home directory and use it to manage your repositories. Note that you won't be able to use our normal svn apps (installed from the control panel) to serve your 1.7.x repos via HTTP, since those are tied to the system svn installation. So, you'll need to build your own custom Apache along with your custom svn if you want to serve repos via the web.

permanent link

answered 12 Feb '13, 12:45

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

So does this mean that you will upgrade to CentOS 7 when it becomes available?

(18 Feb '13, 01:03) pvh513

We likely will at some point in the future. Wayne K | WebFaction Support

(18 Feb '13, 01:46) waynek

Today I decided to bite the bullet and installed subversion 1.8.1 from Collabnet. I created a separate subdirectory for this and then created symlinks to the new binaries in ~/bin. This did trigger a change, but when I looked in the logs I saw to my amazement that the server identified itself as SVN/1.7.11 which is neither the standard CentOS version, nor the one I installed. Can you shed some light on this?

(30 Aug '13, 03:14) pvh513

Going over the logs more carefully, it looks like it is reporting the client version and not the server version, so that mystery is solved. So I guess I have achieved nothing yet. What do I need to do to get this version of subversion hosted?

(30 Aug '13, 03:45) pvh513

Like I said in my earlier reply, if need svn 1.7.x now, you'll need to build it from source as a custom application.

(30 Aug '13, 12:28) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×20
×2

question asked: 12 Feb '13, 01:42

question was seen: 1,517 times

last updated: 30 Aug '13, 12:28

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM