Firefox can 'find' my website using my new domain oneguisefitsall.com but Chrome reports an error:

This webpage is not available The server at oneguisefitsall.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

This is not an urgent problem as I am just a hobbyist but I'd like to understand how a browser can effect DNS lookup. I have tried Chrome on about 5 computers, some hundreds of miles distant from the other. So it's not a cache issue at my particular desktop. So what is it ? Maybe someone would try this themselves. Anybody got Opera?

asked 14 Feb '13, 13:15

darter's gravatar image

darter
accept rate: 14%

edited 14 Feb '13, 20:18

On my local machine, I am not seeing any NS records for your domain at all:

ryan@RyanDesktop:~$ dig +short ns oneguisefitsall.com
ryan@RyanDesktop:~$

And the site's not loading in either Firefox or Chrome for me. I'm fairly certain that the lack of DNS NS records (meaning your domain is not pointing to any particular nameservers) is the source of the problem. If you're using WebFaction for this domain, you will want to set the nameservers to:

ns1.webfaction.com
ns2.webfaction.com
ns3.webfaction.com
ns4.webfaction.com

as described in our domains documentation.

That still doesn't explain how you're able to see the site in Firefox though. Perhaps you have a cached 301 redirect which is directing it to another (existing) domain?

(14 Feb '13, 23:17) ryans ♦♦ ryans's gravatar image

Your site with www works.
www.oneguisefitsall.com
FireFox automatically switches to www if it can't resolve a 'naked' domain name.

link

answered 15 Feb '13, 02:39

epqrs's gravatar image

epqrs
accept rate: 0%

Thanks, does this suggest that I goofed up at the webfaction control panel and that I can go back and correct something? I don't want to require people to type www !

link

answered 15 Feb '13, 08:26

darter's gravatar image

darter
accept rate: 14%

If you want to serve traffic on both oneguisefitsall.com and www.oneguisefitsall.com make sure that in the Control Panel the domain is oneguisefitsall.com with a subdomain of www.

(15 Feb '13, 08:36) aaront ♦♦ aaront's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×88
×74
×3
×1

Asked: 14 Feb '13, 13:15

Seen: 793 times

Last updated: 15 Feb '13, 08:36

Plans & prices    Sign up    Why WebFaction?    Contact us    Affiliate program    Support    Legal    Jobs    Blog    Control panel login