WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm usually very, very happy with Webfaction. However, the past 2-3 weeks, web320 has had problems several times per week. I consistently have issues loading not only my own sites, but other sites on web320 as well. I have submitted a support ticket, but it's not much help.

I'm told it's just maxing out my individual sql connections (30), but if that were the case, other sites would load just fine. As of late, it has me questioning the claim of undercrowded servers.

I sure hope it's possible to identify the cause of the problem and fix it, so that I don't have to move elsewhere.

asked 15 Feb '13, 12:43

inntheboat
accept rate: 0%

Web320 is definitely not overloaded with regards to the number of customers that we put on it, but it's possible that a shared resource like Apache or MySQL could be taxing the CPU or using too much disk IO. Since those resources are shared, they have much higher resource limits under cgroups, so when they go nuts, it can tend to drive up load.

When load goes up, things start to move more slowly. When that happens, sometimes MySQL queries will take longer to run, which then causes connection limits to be hit.

We'll definitely continue to look into the problem to identify and correct the cause.

permanent link

answered 15 Feb '13, 13:04

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Thanks for your prompt response, Sean. I'm looking at private MySQL instances and additional memory, but I don't want to do that if it won't fix the problem. I prefer to stay with Webfaction, but it seems like this is happening more and more.

(15 Feb '13, 13:11) inntheboat
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×1

question asked: 15 Feb '13, 12:43

question was seen: 1,782 times

last updated: 15 Feb '13, 13:11

Related questions

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM