WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi there,

I had help when making a personal website in Django. The reason it uses Django instead of plain HTML5 is just to use the templating features (getting boilerplate on every page, being able to change one file and have it fix up a lot of others). There is no database behavior or anything.

You can see the source for the site here:

https://github.com/mmcghan/django-mmcghan

And a deployment here, which should be around for a little while:

http://meredithmcghan.com

My current host and help is going to stop being available around March 1st. So I have to find a new place, and hopefully a cheap one where a newbie like me can find support! While getting this site to where it is certainly wasn't trivial for me, (even with a tremendous amount of help), I've been told it is a walk in the park for anyone hosting Django.

WebFaction was recommended to me, but I honestly do not know where to start. I'm a newbie and so figuring out how to do something like get the /media directory to be served by Apache and not sent to Django is the kind of stuff I have no idea about. I could really use some hand-holding or a "step by step" if anyone has the time to do so.

asked 15 Feb '13, 19:06

mmcghan
accept rate: 0%

The best place to start really is our documentation, which covers in detail all of the questions you are posing. The following pages explain how to connect to your account, how to create a Django application, how to point a domain to it, how to configure Django, and how to configure incoming URLs (such as /static) to be served from Nginx instead of Django:

If you have any specific questions after reading the documentation, please do not hesitate to let us know. The Django section in the documentation is exactly a step-by-step tutorial, but we'd recommend reading all of the documentation shown above in order at least once, rather than skipping around.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 15 Feb '13, 19:29

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

Hi, I'm pretty new at all this and using the above instructions I got django up and running so I think you can too. Support here was pretty good. I never felt abandoned. Just submit a ticket. That static media thing is in the documentation above, I think. Not a big deal. Also, I have that Django book by Holovaty all inked up with my notes. (I think it is the free one online). Just post your questions when you are stuck.

permanent link

answered 16 Feb '13, 21:40

darter
accept rate: 14%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×113
×37

question asked: 15 Feb '13, 19:06

question was seen: 2,910 times

last updated: 16 Feb '13, 21:40

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM