WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I want to run a VPN service so I can surf the web remotely. Is there a way to do this on webfaction ?

E.g. on a raspberrry pi you might use one of the two approaches mentioned here: http://unvexed.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-set-up-real-encrypted-vpn.html

One uses MPPE and he second uses SSH forwarding.

but what about on webfaction ?

asked 16 Feb '13, 20:22

Neon22
accept rate: 0%

edited 16 Feb '13, 20:28

Basic SSH forwarding is easy - you just connect with something like ssh -D 1080 and forward traffic through localhost:1080 on your local machine or device.

If you're looking for more of a transparent proxy, sshuttle uses the same concept but requires root on the client side (but not the server side) in order to redirect traffic through the SSH tunnel.

A more powerful option similar to sshuttle is redsocks (github repo). This supports UDP if you use a SOCKS5 server (like dante) on the WebFaction machine (just make sure to enable authentication).

All of the above are proxy-based solutions and allow surfing the web, which seems to be what you are looking for. A true VPN is much more than this, and it operates on a lower network layer. You pretty much need root access on the VPN server to implement a true VPN, because the changes would affect everyone on your machine. If a proxy won't work, you should look into purchasing a VPS server and installing OpenVPN.

permanent link

answered 16 Feb '13, 21:09

ryans ♦♦
5.0k83159
accept rate: 43%

I am looking at dante/redsocks, but find a complication. For Dante, all authentication methods between server and client, other than GASSAPI, do not encrypted the data between the client and server. GASSAPI appears to necessitate digging into Kerberos, which I have no experience with but understand to be difficult.

(29 Sep, 08:51) DiagonalArg

Please note that SOCKS proxy has been disabled since March 2018, so some (or even all) of the above tools might not work in our platform anymore.

(02 Oct, 10:41) iliasr ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×97
×4

question asked: 16 Feb '13, 20:22

question was seen: 12,194 times

last updated: 02 Oct, 10:42

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM