WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello all -

I've recently taken advantage of the possibility to have a private mysql instance, and then I installed PHPmyadmin on a subdomain of my main domain (like xxx.maindomain.com). I've been reading a bit on securing a PHPmyadmin install, and one thing they recommend is to make it accessible only through a non-standard port to avoid scanning vulnerabilities.

Is it possible to do that on WF? I've searched and looked through the docs and the community Q&A here, but couldn't find this, though I may have used the inexact technical terms :-(

Many thanks for letting me know!

Best, - Julien

asked 20 Feb '13, 19:42

Julien
accept rate: 0%

If you want to run a PHP app on a non-standard port, then you'll need to do two things:

1. Build your own Apache + PHP stack from source and run it as a custom app on a random port assigned to you via the control panel.
  2. Open a support ticket to have us open your custom port on the server's secondary IP address.

To be honest, to me that sounds like a lot of work with very little payoff. In my opinion, you're better off using the MySQL command line on your server, or use a SSH tunnel to connect a desktop GUI SQL client to your database.

permanent link

answered 20 Feb '13, 20:12

seanf
12.1k21736
accept rate: 37%

Many thanks for the detailed answer Sean!

Yes, it seems like what you suggest is indeed the best option for me :-)

Many thanks!

(20 Feb '13, 20:36) Julien
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×69
×23
×1

question asked: 20 Feb '13, 19:42

question was seen: 1,660 times

last updated: 20 Feb '13, 20:36

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM