WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm looking into increasing the response time of my website and I think mysql is a bottleneck in this. How much does a private mysql instance help with performance? I know I will have to add additional application memory in order for this to be effective but how much do I really need (256mb, 512 or 1gb)

asked 18 Mar '13, 15:21

Clooner
accept rate: 0%

It depends on the code which you are deploying and the queries being made as to how much it will benefit.

A private MySQL server does provide more options to optimize and adjust settings.

You may also look into database caching.

permanent link

answered 18 Mar '13, 17:26

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

I do cache(file based) a lot already, what do you mean with more options to optimize and adjust settings?

If I understand you correctly, when running a private mysql instance out-of-the-box there is no performance increase even with additional memory?

(18 Mar '13, 19:21) Clooner

You can adjust the max connections and log sql queries, there are other directives you can add to the my.cnf file which you can't normally do on the shared server which allow for various debugging options, like adjusting the buffer pool, the subject is rather vast and I could not cover it all in this post.

(18 Mar '13, 23:24) johns

Ok, out-of-the-box there is no speed improvement whatsoever! But switching to a private mysql instance with an additional 256mb and some config directives gives me how much of an improvement on average? Ballpark it!

(19 Mar '13, 09:25) Clooner

There's simply no way to estimate that for you, even as a ballpark figure, because we don't keep records of the performance of individual customer's sites.

Perhaps a customer who has made a similar change can chime in here?

(19 Mar '13, 13:38) seanf

while googling to find an answer to "if running a private mysql instance improves performance", I found this: http://community.webfaction.com/questions/10679/performance-of-local-mysql-instance

Flipflopping aside, I like to believe that switching to a private mysql instance with additional memory increases performance "significantly".

This shouldn't be too difficult too answer, does it help (significantly) or not?

(20 Mar '13, 09:48) Clooner

If your application is fully optimized with regards to your database structure and the SQL queries that the application runs, and you believe that the performance of your application is being degraded because you're sharing MySQL resources with other customers, then a private MySQL instance could potentially improve the performance of your site, possibly significantly.

(20 Mar '13, 10:15) seanf
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×168
×11
×5

question asked: 18 Mar '13, 15:21

question was seen: 2,806 times

last updated: 09 Apr '13, 09:08

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM