WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm still a bit confused on how apps works. The WebFaction manual says that it's possible to use one app to serve many websites. I think this is good because it saves resources.

But how can I use one app for different websites considering they differ from each other based on the content they have and the requests they serve? My planned websites have different purpose and audiences in mind.

I tried creating a 'static-only' app and used it to serve 2 different websites. Static-only apps contain an index.html file inside the folder (whatever name you set it) so when I visit the 2 different websites, surely they will serve the same content because they are served by only one app.

Is this still possible or do I really need to create another app to serve per site? That seems to be the logical choice unless there's a trick to it.

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 25 Mar '13, 20:30

Panoy's gravatar image

Panoy
accept rate: 100%

wikified 27 Mar '13, 13:02

I'm not sure what part of the manual you're referring to, but generally if you are serving two different static sites it is much easier to just create two static applications unless you have a very good reason for doing otherwise. There is no real resource saving in having all your files for different sites in one directory since they are all served from the shared Nginx instance anyway. If you really wanted to serve them from the same application then you'd need to split your incoming traffic in some other way, such as through a .htaccess file.

permanent link

answered 25 Mar '13, 23:23

waynek's gravatar image

waynek
accept rate: 27%

I'm referring to the WebFaction User Guide. You've seen my ticket though, so thanks again for the advice.

(26 Mar '13, 03:20) Panoy Panoy's gravatar image

I think the takeaway here is that there are some apps (Wordpress for example? Multisite feature?) that can work with multiple websites, while obviously it is practical to create a single app for a single website/URL that will have it's unique content.

The manual just shows that its possible to reuse a single app to serve multiple sites.

(26 Mar '13, 03:23) Panoy Panoy's gravatar image

Exactly right :)

(26 Mar '13, 03:30) waynek waynek's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×53
×9

question asked: 25 Mar '13, 20:30

question was seen: 1,374 times

last updated: 27 Mar '13, 13:02

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL