WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm learning how to make my own backups of my websites and databases, but I'm struggling.

I followed the instructions here: http://docs.webfaction.com/software/subversion.html?highlight=backup#creating-a-complete-backup

I can't figure out how to make the syntax work. Is this even the right process for a bunch of files that makeup any PHP app? I'm not sure I even understand what a 'subversion" is.

I just want a simple way to backup all my application files and then also to backup the database.

I have searched the documentation for a while, with no real success yet. I'd appreciate any help from someone who has done this before.

asked 26 Mar '13, 08:46

ChrisU
accept rate: 0%

Subversion is a revision control system - the document you read is specifically for backing up a subversion repository, and not a general guide for backing up files and databases.

If you want to backup your databases and your home directory, some instructions are available in the answer by Ryan S. here: Personal Backup of site

Be sure to copy your backups to some offsite location, like your own system or another server.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 26 Mar '13, 12:16

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Thanks VERY much for that. To make this whole thing as automated as possible I followed the instructions to setup a cron job to backup my wordpress database every day at 2am. I'll check tomorrow that it's working, and if so I'll add new lines to the crontab for ALL of my databases (is this the correct lingo?)

Then I'll just do the entire home directory backup suggestion given in that thread you reference, and I'll have a very simple way to backup my entire site via SSH and then I an FTP the file to another location for security.

Cool. My first time every using cron.

permanent link

answered 27 Mar '13, 08:31

ChrisU
accept rate: 0%

If you want to backup a single database you may do the following via SSH command. I am using Putty to this, it's free.

1. Identify the database_name you want to do backup. Take note also the database_username and the database_password of that database_name. Here in WebFaction, database_username is usually the same as the database_name.
  2. Issue the following command: mysqldump -u database_username database_name -p > backup_name.sql. The system will ask for the database_password, just enter the password. A backup named backup_name.sql will be created by the system.
  3. You can download your backup using FileZilla to your local computer or you can moved it anywhere you wish.

I am not a Linux guy or an IT person and this things though simple are a jargon for me when I did it the first time. That is why I make some notes for myself, recording what I did, specially the codes, so that it will be easy for me to retrieve the information when I need it. I made a detailed post on this, I think this may help: http://www.mathalino.com/blog/romel-verterra/how-backup-and-restore-mysql-database-linux-command-line

In the case of doing backup for your home directory, you can compress it into a tar or zip then download it. I hope this helps.

permanent link

answered 27 Mar '13, 09:12

Romel
accept rate: 40%

edited 27 Mar '13, 09:15

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×84
×6

question asked: 26 Mar '13, 08:46

question was seen: 10,010 times

last updated: 27 Mar '13, 09:15

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM