When I first created an SVN repository at ~/repo/myrepo, I had some files in there that I no longer want to be part of the repository. Instead of "removing" them (svn delete) so that they don't show up anymore in the current revision and future revisions, I don't want any trace of the files to be accessible at all, even by looking at old revisions of the repository.

I'm trying to completely remove the repository and start over, so I did this:

rm -rf ~/repo/myrepo
find ~/webapps/mycode -name ".svn" -exec rm -rf {} \;
svnadmin create ~/repo/myrepo
svn import ~/webapps/mycode ~/repo/myrepo -m "Initial import."

...but the repository still exists in its original form, including all of the revisions (it was up to rev. 70). Shouldn't this new repository be at revision 0?

It's accessible both through my "svn" website and my Trac website, and all of the revisions still show up. Shouldn't that first rm command have obliterated the repository? Why are SVN and Trac still displaying the original repository as if nothing happened?

asked 01 Jan '11, 13:42

dysolution's gravatar image

dysolution
accept rate: 0%

Your svn website would not serve a repo that you created manually in ~/repo. Our control panel can only set up Subversion sites to serve Subversion apps created via the control panel, eg ~/webapps/svn.

If you previously created a Subversion app and you want to delete it, then you can delete it from the app list in the control panel. You can then create a new Subversion app and add it to your site.

Note that if you have a Trac site associated with your repo, then you'll need to resync Trac with the new repo, eg:

cd ~/webapps/trac
./bin/trac-admin . repository resync

Hope that helps!

link

answered 01 Jan '11, 14:25

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
8.0k1726
accept rate: 39%

I was just about to comment that I had myself confused about where the actual repository was, just as you explained. Once I figured that out, what you described is exactly the process I used to re-create the repository properly and resync Trac. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm having a problem checking out from the new repository:

http://community.webfaction.com/questions/1296/cant-svn-checkout-after-re-creating-svn-repository

(01 Jan '11, 15:02) dysolution dysolution's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×36
×18
×10
×10
×1

Asked: 01 Jan '11, 13:42

Seen: 8,477 times

Last updated: 01 Jan '11, 15:02

Plans & prices    Sign up    Why WebFaction?    Contact us    Affiliate program    Support    Legal    Jobs    Blog    Control panel login