WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I'm a current Webfaction customer (about 1 year now) and I'm wondering how I can increase the performance of the apps running on my account. I currently have 2 RoR apps and a handful of svn repos and the Rails apps sometimes respond rather slowly.

I ran across this post, http://community.webfaction.com/questions/1692/webfaction-shared-hosting-performance, in which it's suggested to purchase multiple plans and balance the apps between them. Is there a feature built into the control panel or your software to expand a single account to get the same cpu usage of many? Or was the suggestion literally just to have 3 separate Webfaction accounts that all happen to have the same person paying the subscription plan?

Thank you for any feedback!

asked 09 Apr '13, 12:24

kwhittington
accept rate: 0%

When we say "purchase multiple plans and balance the apps between them", we mean that a single account can have multiple plans, each on a separate physical server, with their site running on each machine, so that the load is distributed across three machines.

We provide very basic functionality for doing this via "round robin DNS" - i.e., your site would have multiple DNS A records, so that requests for your domain will be roughly distributed among the various IPs specified by your A records. Some information about this is available in our documentation: Using Multiple Servers

More advanced functionality, i.e. automatic mirroring, database replication, and failover, is achievable as well, but we don't have a step-by-step procedure for that.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 09 Apr '13, 12:38

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×26

question asked: 09 Apr '13, 12:24

question was seen: 1,578 times

last updated: 09 Apr '13, 12:38

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM