WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm going to be hosting multiple domains under my shared plan. Each domain will be running different apps. What is the best way to organize my directories?

I was thinking of doing this: In ~/webapps...

-->domainA
---->htdocs - for apps I want to install myself
-->domainB
---->htdocs
-->domainC
---->htdocs

However, when I'm adding an app, it doesn't allow me to specify sub directories. I tried to put in domainB/htdocs and it wouldn't allow me to do it.

How have other people approached organizing their apps with multiple domains.

asked 02 Jan '11, 17:11

milesmeow
accept rate: 0%

edited 02 Jan '11, 17:11

When you add a new application via the control panel, a directory is created in webapps with whatever name you defined for the app. You should not attempt to manually create directories directly under webapps.

You can organize your apps by the way you name them. For example "domainA_htdocs" and "domainB_htdocs". When you list the contents of the webapps directory, apps that start with the same domain will be grouped together.

permanent link

answered 02 Jan '11, 17:30

maryh
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

Thanks Mary. I was attempting to specify domainA/htdocs on the page where I'm creating the application and it wouldn't allow me. My next strategy was exactly what you just recommended. I was hoping to have a more hierarchical way of arranging it, but the domainA_appname will work. I just joined Webfaction and wanted to make sure that I'm arranging things correctly. Better to do it right the first time than to correct them later on. Thanks for your suggestion!

(02 Jan '11, 20:53) milesmeow
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×54
×30
×19
×19
×17

question asked: 02 Jan '11, 17:11

question was seen: 3,688 times

last updated: 21 Mar '11, 16:48

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM