WebFaction
Community site: login faq

As the title says, I see from here: http://docs.webfaction.com/software/git.html that I am able to create different users for the Git app. But, what is the point?

Is it that each git user has access to different repos? But it looks like they all would have access to the whole app, which contains all the repos. I think there is a very simple and clear reason behind, but I just can't seem to understand it at the moment.

Could somebody shed some light, in plain simple english?

asked 19 Apr '13, 06:21

mjsarfatti
accept rate: 0%

I am in no way an admin, or even very smart, but wouldn't this allow you to keep track of who made which changes?

permanent link

answered 19 Apr '13, 07:35

mattshepherd
accept rate: 0%

The most common use case is that of multiple users within the same organization who need access to the same set of repos.

permanent link

answered 19 Apr '13, 10:04

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

But they are never asked for a password for accessing git. As long as they have SSH access they can pull push and clone fine... Is it really only for looking at the repos throught the web interface?

(19 Apr '13, 17:19) mjsarfatti

If they are pushing and cloning over HTTP, then they should be required to authenticate. Feel free to open a support ticket if you'd like us to investigate this for you.

(19 Apr '13, 18:51) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×111

question asked: 19 Apr '13, 06:21

question was seen: 1,784 times

last updated: 19 Apr '13, 18:51

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM