WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm administering a small blog for a community organization, and since they're the sort of folks where everyone wants to see every e-mail sent to the org, I've set up a remailer that redirects all mail to info@[site].org to the five members of the board of directors.

They're not very e-mail savvy, and there's been considerable confusion where some are having a hard time understanding that even though the e-mail is landing in their inbox, it hasn't been sent "to" them per se, and they shouldn't reply from their personal e-mail address.

Is there a way to append “from the [organization] e-mail address” or similar text to the subject line of auto-forwarded e-mails? I see that I can forward to multiple addresses and have auto-replies, but I'd like to be able to create an addition to the e-mail subject, or add a header to the e-mail body, that states that it comes from the remailer.

asked 19 Apr '13, 07:40

mattshepherd
accept rate: 0%

You can use server-side filtering rules to do that!

You can see a sample rule of what you want to achieve here.

You can probably find a few more rules if you do a Google search.

permanent link

answered 19 Apr '13, 09:25

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

Note that for this to work, you'll also need to set a SHELL environment variable in your procmailrc, for example:

SHELL=/bin/bash
:0 fw
* ^To:.*remailer@domain.com
|sed -e 's/^Subject:[ ]*/Subject: [From the Organization email address] /'

Also, this will only work if the final destination mailboxes are here on WebFaction, or on some other host that supports procmail rules.

(19 Apr '13, 09:38) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×76
×69

question asked: 19 Apr '13, 07:40

question was seen: 3,175 times

last updated: 19 Apr '13, 09:38

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM